Accor draws up battle plan after profits slide

26th Feb 2009

Accor has drawn up a plan to tackle the tough global hospitality market as it posted a 3.5 percent drop in 2008 operating profit, which was in line with forecasts.

The measures amounted to a “battle plan to face a difficult environment” after “the effects of the global economic downturn quickly spread to the hotels business, especially in the fourth quarter,” Accor said in a statement.
The French hotel chain said it would cut spending on renovations by €125m this year, and €100m less annually from 2011 on expands plans. It would cut marketing and purchasing costs by €75m this year and a further €25m in 2010.

Operating profit before non-recurring items fell to €875m last year from €907m in 2007, Accor said. In October it said it was aiming for 2008 profit before tax of €870m-890m.

Six directors at Accor resigned in protest on Tuesday and warned of potential conflicts of interest after the French hotel group’s two big private equity shareholders won a board vote to combine the posts of chairman and chief executive. Accor Chief Executive Gilles Pelisson was named chairman of the board of directors.


Recommended for you

Follow Breaking Travel News

Travel Events Calendar

Media Partnerships

Global Restaurant Investment ForumThe Hospitality & Tourism SummitCATHIC
ITB AsiaChina Outbound Travel & Tourism MarketThe Travel Marketing Store
Serviced Apartment SummitWorld Travel MarketIMEX
AHICWTTCRoutes Online
UBM Aviation