Passengers at Gatwick Airport can now experience the faster speeds and greater reliability of 5G thanks to Vodafone. This means they can enjoy gaming on the go or quickly download a film or TV box set or transfer large work documents before they catch a flight.
Kuwait-based Jazeera Airways is preparing for something of an aviation milestone next month, with the carrier set to launch the first low-cost, long-haul flights between the Middle East and the United Kingdom. Here Breaking Travel News editor Chris O’Toole catches up with chief executive Rohit Ramachandran to find out more
Gatwick has formally started the process to bring its existing northern runway into routine use. The airport has submitted a notice to the planning inspectorate of its intention to prepare an application for development consent.
Gatwick has published a new five-year capital investment programme which highlights more investment in automation and technology as an enabler of sustainable growth.
Strikes by security workers at Gatwick airport have been suspended after an improved pay offer was made. The 130 members of Unite who are employed by ICTS (UK) to scan passengers’ luggage for explosive materials and other dangerous and prohibited materials, were due to stage a 48-hour strike from Saturday morning.
London Gatwick has opened a new arrivals facility for domestic travellers from other parts of the UK and Republic of Ireland. It is hoped the facility will provide a faster and more convenient exit from the aircraft through a new dedicated arrivals route.
London Gatwick has achieved its busiest-ever start to a financial year, as passenger numbers grew by 1.7 per cent in quarter one compared to 2018. In total some 12.5 million passengers travelled through the airport in the first three months.
Two separate groups of workers at Gatwick airport are to begin balloting for industrial action over pay. If the workers vote for strike action, passengers at Gatwick are set to face delays and disruption later this summer.
Gatwick has reported revenue increased 6.1 per cent to £811 million for the financial year just ended. Combined with careful cost management, this resulted an EBITDA increase of 7.3 per cent, to £441 million, and a profit after tax of £208 million.
London Gatwick has announced a new chapter in its ownership as Vinci Airports completes the purchase of a 50.01 per cent stake in the airport. Global Infrastructure Partners will continue to manage the remaining 49.99 per cent interest in Gatwick.
WestJet has launched a new Dreamliner service between Calgary and London Gatwick with the departure of WS1. The sold-out flight was a first for WestJet’s new 787-9 Dreamliner.