Travelport, one of the world’s leading global distribution system (GDS) providers, offering both the Galileo and Worldspan platforms, is celebrating the achievement of a string of coveted awards in 2009. Despite one of the most challenging business years in recent history as a result of the global economic recession and the impact to travel caused by swine flu, industry leaders from around the world came forward in 2009 to acknowledge the GDS.
Accolades range from ‘Best Technology Provider’ to ‘Most Supportive GDS’ and include a high ranking in a prestigious list of the most innovative technology companies of the year.
Award highlights in 2009 include:
· InformationWeek 500 – In September, Travelport achieved the rank of 11 in the annual listing of the US’s most innovative users of business technology. This is the highest ranking that Travelport has achieved in the four years since it has been named on the prestigious list and Travelport is the only GDS in the top 250.
· Travel Trade Gazette (TTG) Travel Awards UK – Travelport was named as the ‘Best Travel Service Provider of the Year’ at the TTG annual travel awards ceremony held in London in September. The award, considered a benchmark of quality in the travel industry, is judged by travel agents and a panel of industry experts.
· Jumeirah Awards – The hotel chain named Travelport GDS and its regional hospitality and car rental director, Paul Adams, ‘Most Supportive GDS Supplier’ at the annual gala awards held in October.
· Travel Trade Gazette (TTG) Travel Awards Asia – Marking a successful second half for Travelport in the region, the GDS not only announced its leading position in Asia Pacific, but was also awarded the ‘Best GDS’ in the TTG Asia Travel Awards. Travelport was commended for its unparalleled content, localised product and commitment to customer service.
· Scottish Passenger Agents Association Travel Awards – Travelport picked up the award for ‘Best Technology Provider’ to the Scottish travel industry in November ahead of strong competition.
· e-Travel Blackboard Australia Reader Choice Awards - In September, Travelport was voted ‘Best GDS’ in the inaugural 2009 e-Travel Blackboard awards. The electronic newsletter has a daily circulation of around 30,000 subscribers.
· Inter-regional Association of Entrepreneurs (IRAE) Awards Russia – Travelport was awarded the accolade of ‘Leader in Russian Business’ in December for its significant contribution towards uplifting the economy in Russia. In 2008, Travelport announced that Russia has been identified as a focus country and a multi-million dollar investment has been made in Eastern Europe.
Commenting on the year of award successes, Travelport deputy CEO, Gordon Wilson said: “The quality and scope of the awards that Travelport has achieved this year is truly impressive. It is extremely rewarding to be recognised outside of the travel industry in a list of the most innovative companies of the year among the likes of HP, Google and Coca-cola.”
Wilson continued, “I’m also pleased to see recognition across both the international and local spectrums of our business. Not only is this a testament to the strength of our significant global footprint across all regions, but it also demonstrates our commitment to providing local expertise and support.”
Travelport also made the shortlist in the 2009 Travolution Awards for ‘Best Online/Desktop Application’ as well as the Business Travel Show 2009 Innovation Awards for Travelport Carbon Tracker.