Fares rise lower than average for UK rail network.
New ticket prices available to check online at www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk.
Many car parking charges frozen or reduced.
Passengers continue to benefit from £40 million investment programme.
East Midlands Trains announced that the average fare on its network will rise by an average of 5.7%. The increase, effective from January 2012, is lower than the UK rail average of 5.9%.
Passengers can check the new prices for their own journeys from today at www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk or through National Rail Enquiries.
Changes in the cost of specific individual tickets will vary, however the average fare per journey at East MidlandsTrains will rise by just 72p.
Charges for car parking will vary, with daily parking tariffs at the majority of station car parks either frozen or reduced. Full details of the car parking rates from January 2012 can be found at www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/parking.
David Horne, Managing Director of East MidlandsTrains, said: “Money raised through fares helps to pay for better train services and improved facilities at stations. At East Midlands Trains,we are investing over £40 million to deliver improvements to every aspect of our passengers journeys, including refurbished trains and better station facilities such as refurbished toilets and waiting rooms.
“Fares also reflect the Government’s long-standing approach to sustaining investment in the railways by reducing the contribution from taxpayers and increasing the share paid for by passengers. In the longer-term, the rail industry is working together to continue cutting costs as a way of helping to limit future fare rises and offer better value for money for taxpayers”.
New rail fares and car parking charges are effective from 2 January 2012. The changes include:
· freezing the cost of the cheapest Advance fare, priced from just £5 one-way
· offering even more discounted tickets on the popular Liverpool-Norwich route
· further roll-out of the popular inclusive Park, Ride and Save ticket to Loughborough
· introduction of new evening car parking offer at many stations, priced at just £2
· car parking prices frozen at Alsager, Ambergate, Beeston, Blythe Bridge, Derby,Duffield, Hinckley, Kidsgrove, Leicester, Longton, Matlock, Melton Mowbray,Nottingham, Spalding, Stamford, Uttoxeter, Wellingborough
· maintaining the £1 discount on lowest Advance tickets booked online at www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk.
East Midlands Trains is one of the most punctual train operators in the UK, with latest figures showing annual punctuality running at 92.1%. Customer satisfaction is higher than the UK average,with the most recent independent National Passenger Survey showing that86% of passengers are satisfied with their train service.
Passengers are continuing to benefit from a range of improvements, including:
· £30minvestment to refurbish every passenger train
· £10minvestment to improve stations including refurbished toilets and waiting facilities
· Improved passenger information through launch of new Twitter service, extra train running information screens and additional help points
· Introduction of over 200 additional cycle spaces
· Improved access to cheap fares through online Best Fare Finder and new ticket-only collection machines at stations
· More seats on busy Liverpool to Norwich services