PHOENIX, Nov. 21 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/—America West Airlines (NYSE: AWA) looks forward to welcoming approximately 678,000 passengers on board its flights during the busy Thanksgiving holiday travel period from Saturday, Nov. 23 through Monday, Dec. 2, 2002. In preparation, the airline is advising customers of the Transportation Security Administration`s (TSA) new passenger awareness campaign called Prepare for Takeoff, which is designed to inform travelers about new security measures at the nation`s airports.
Passengers are encouraged to actively participate in the Prepare for Takeoff campaign by becoming familiar with the TSA`s new timesaving tips, which are outlined below and are available in more detail at the TSA`s Web site at www.TSATravelTips.us . Customers should also plan to arrive at the airport early to allow for potential parking delays as well as longer check-in and security lines especially on Nov. 26, 27, 30, Dec. 1 and 2, when America West will have particularly high numbers of customers traveling.
Before the Airport:
1. Do not pack or bring prohibited items to the airport. Prohibited items are weapons, explosives and incendiaries, and include items
that are seemingly harmless but may be used as weapons—the
so-called “dual use” items. 2. Leave gifts unwrapped. They may be opened for inspection. 3. Avoid wearing clothing, jewelry and accessories that contain metal.
Metal items may set off the alarm on the metal detector.
4. Put all film and cameras with film in your carry-on baggage.
Checked baggage screening equipment will damage film.
5. Carry-on baggage is limited to one carry-on bag plus one personal
item. Personal items include laptops, purses, small backpacks,
briefcases or camera cases. Remember, 1+1.
6. Place identification tags in and on all of your baggage. Don`t
forget your laptop computer.
6. Put metal in your carry-on bag. This includes jewelry, loose change,
keys, mobile phones, pagers and personal data assistants (PDAs). 8. Take out your laptop computer. Place it in a bin, separate from its
9. Take off your outer coat. Place it in a bin. Suit jackets and
blazers do not have to be removed, unless requested by the screener.