Due to the heightened security at UK airports, additional security restrictions are in place which will continue to have an impact on airport operations. The details are included here:In brief:
Hand baggage restrictions are in place; Passengers will be handsearched; Footwear and all items (including pushchairs and walking aids) must be x-ray screened; Liquids will be removed from the passenger.
Hand baggage restrictions -
These measures will prevent passengers from carrying hand luggage into the cabin of an aircraft with the following excepts (which must be placed in a plastic bag):
- pocket size wallets and pocket size purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards, identity cards etc (not handbags));
- travel documents essential for the journey (for example passports and travel tickets);
- prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (e.g. diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.
- spectacles and sunglasses, without cases.
- contact lens holders, without bottles of solution.
- for those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger) and
sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags).female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed (eg tampons, pads, towels and wipes).
- tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs
- keys (but no electrical key fobs)
- All passengers must be hand searched, and their footwear and all the items they are carrying must be x-ray screened. Any liquids discovered must be removed from the passenger.
- Pushchairs and walking aids must be x-ray screened, and only airport-provided wheelchairs may pass through the screening point.
- In addition to the above, all passengers boarding flights to the USA and all the items they are carrying, including those acquired after the central screening point, must be subjected to secondary search at the boarding gate. Any liquids discovered must be removed from the passenger.