United Airlines (OTCBB: UALAQ) maintained or improved its ranking among the other major carriers in several categories and retained its number-one ranking for on-time arrival performance for the past 12-month average, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation`s May report on U.S. airline performance.
“This summer is expected to continue to generate very high load factors across our system,”Ê said John Tague, United’s executive vice president - Customer. “However, we continue to perform better than ever.Ê Our employees keep focusing on getting our flights in and out on-time day after day while delivering exceptional service to our customers.”
With the 4th of July holiday coming up this week and the busy summer travel, United Airlines wants to remind its customers of some helpful travel tips to make their experience easier:
- Arrive early:Ê Customers who are not checking bags should arrive at the airport at least an hour before their scheduled flight.Ê Those customers who have luggage to check should get to the airport at least 90 minutes before they fly, and customers who are flying to international destinations should arrive at least two hours before their flight.Ê Customers are also reminded to allow extra time when traveling during this busy summer season, especially if traveling during peak airport hours.Ê To help plan their travel, customers should visit united.com to get their local airport peak time and security line wait information.
- Get real time flight information using united.com and EasyUpdate: Ê Prior to their trip, customers should visit united.com for up-to-the-minute flight information.Ê They also may receive real-time flight information by signing up for United’s flight status alert service, EasyUpdate.Ê Flight information can be sent to a pager, cell phone or Web-enabled PDA.
- Baggage:Ê United’s free checked bag allowance is two bags weighing 50 lbs each.Ê For bags over 50 lbs, there is a $25 fee per bag.Ê Customers traveling internationally are allowed a free checked bag allowance of 70 lbs per bag.Ê Checked luggage should be unlocked at all times. The TSA may need to search the luggage to see the contents. If the luggage is locked, the TSA will have to break the lock to conduct a search.Ê
- Travel light:Ê Federal regulations allow only one carry-on bag, not to exceed 45 linear inches in size, and a small personal item such as a briefcase, purse or laptop. Customers should keep undeveloped film in their carry-on luggage.Ê Checked baggage scanners used by the TSA might damage film.
- Use EasyCheck-in Online: United has introduced EasyCheck-in Online, which gives its customers the ability to check in from home, the office or anywhere where they have access to an Internet connection.Ê This feature allows customers to print their boarding pass before they get to the airport, then proceed through the security checkpoint directly to their departure gate.Ê EasyCheck-in Online is easily accessible through the carrier’s homepage at united.com and is available for domestic travel on United and United Express flights.
- Use EasyCheck-in:Ê United’s EasyCheck-in self serve kiosks are now available at 28 airports.Ê Customers can use EasyCheck-in to print boarding passes and choose seat assignments, thenÊ proceed directly through the security checkpoint to their departure gate.
- Use EasyCheck-in Curbside: United as curbside check-in at 28 airports.Ê Customers are encouraged to use this convenient service that enables those traveling domestically to check luggage and receive their boarding pass even before they enter the terminal.
- Use Priority Security Checkpoint Lines:Ê United was the first airline to introduce the very popular Priority Checkpoint lines for United’s First Class and Business Class customers, Pass Plus customers, Mileage Plus 1K, Premier Executive and STAR Alliance Gold members.Ê Priority Lines are available at Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Denver, Newark, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Honolulu and Seattle.Ê In Seattle and Honolulu, United offers Priority Lines to United’s 1K Mileage Plus members.
- Children Traveling Unaccompanied:Ê Customers who have children traveling unaccompanied should allow plenty of time when dropping off or picking up children.Ê They will need extra time to check in at the ticket counters and to obtain a pass that will allow one adult through a security check-point to the gate.Ê Parents or guardians should also have pertinent flight information available for the agents.
In 2002, United`s employees broke 35 company records and achieved the best overall operational performance in the company`s 77-year history. United Airlines finished 2002 ranked No. 1 in the industry in domestic on-time performance, according to the official U.S. Department of Transportation`s Air Travel Consumer report. United and United Express operate more than 3,300 flights each day on a route network that spans the globe. News releases and other information about United can be found at the company`s website atÊwww.united.com.