A Ryanair plane was forced to make an emergency landing after a jar of mushrooms leaked on to a passenger from an overhead locker, triggering a severe allergic reaction.
The plane, which was mid flight between Budapest and Dublin, was forced to land at Frankfurt airport after the man started choking. He was taken to hospital and the flight was grounded.A Ryanair spokesman said: “Somebody put a jar that was open in the overhead compartment and it leaked. We cleaned the aircraft up afterwards and that was it.”
He added: “If a passenger gets ill on board we always divert to the nearest airport. It’s taken from health and safety and the cabin crew and pilot take that decision after asking the passenger.”
The incident happened less than two days after another Ryanair plane was forced to make an emergency landing in Limoges after a sudden drop in cabin pressure.