InterContinental Hotels Group’s upscale Crowne Plaza hotel brand has more than doubled the size of its estate since the Millennium - and the strong growth continues.At the end of 2000 there were 149 Crowne Plaza hotels open globally and 43 new hotel agreements already signed in IHG’s development pipeline (192 total); by the end of March 2008 that figure had more than doubled to 308 open and 118 in the pipeline (426 total) - a total growth of 122 per cent.
This week IHG announced the addition of a further property to its Middle East estate with the signing of the Crowne Plaza Doha, Qatar. At the end of March 2008 there were 99 Crowne Plaza hotels (open or signed) across the EMEA region. Since then IHG has signed three further hotels including the Crowne Plaza Doha.
Other Crowne Plaza hotels recently signed and in the pipeline across EMEA include:
* the Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport, signed May 2008
* the 415-room Crowne Plaza Belgrade, set for a €30 million refurbishment, signed April 2008
Crowne Plaza hotels which have recently opened in the EMEA region include:
* the Crowne Plaza Tel Aviv City Center, Israel, opened 3 June 2008
* the Crowne Plaza Minsk, Belarus, opened May 2008
* the Crowne Plaza Athens City Centre, opened April 2008
* the Crowne Plaza Milan City, opened March 2008
* the Middle-East flagship 316-room Crowne Plaza Dubai Festival City, opened March 2008.
According to IHG’s President EMEA Kirk Kinsell, “Crowne Plaza has been extremely successful globally. The brand has built a very strong reputation in the lucrative business traveller market as a comfortable, contemporary and productive place to stay and do business. Supported by the world’s largest loyalty programme - IHG’s Priority Club Rewards - the brand has very high rates of repeat business.
“With the significant benefits of IHG’s global revenue systems and considerable hotel experience, Crowne Plaza is a very attractive investment opportunity.”
In its most recent British Hotel Guest Survey 2007 - which questioned more than 2,000 business and leisure travellers - respected industry researchers BDRC ranked Crowne Plaza the most improved brand 2007.