On Saturday, 17th April 2010, a new railway company launches its first train. ‘Amethyst Rail’ is targeting the luxury ‘days out’ market with Pullman-style first class coaches and promises the passenger a ‘wow’ experience, with attentive on-board service throughout the journey.
Amethyst’s inaugural train runs from London, and picks up at intermediate stations to Colchester before heading for Keighley in West Yorkshire. Here
passengers will be able to spend a day in Bronte Country, and take a trip on the historic Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, before boarding the return train
and enjoying dinner en route south.
The train will be all first class, and passengers will be served with a champagne breakfast on their outward journey and a sumptuous five course silver service dinner on the return leg of their trip. Some of the trains will also be pulled by celebrated steam engines, including the brand new A1 Pacific locomotive ‘Tornado’
Amethyst Rail (www.amethyst-experience.com) has been founded by Jim Hall, a senior railway industry figure, and Dave Wilsmore, who has spent over 30 years in the travel business. Commenting on his reasons for launching Amethyst, Jim Hall says:
“For many people today, rail travel is a far-from-glamorous cocktail of high fares, cramped and overcrowded trains, and little by way of on-board service. We aim to reverse this trend and bring back some of the magic from the golden era of Pullman-style luxury travel, with deep-cushioned armchair seating
and superlative on-board service throughout the journey.”
Following the launch trip to Keighley, destinations for Amethyst’s inaugural programme will be Norwich (28May) and Bath/Bristol (29 May).
Key features of the Amethyst Experience will be:
• Passengers greeted by friendly uniformed hosts on arrival at the train
• Deep-cushioned armchair seats, with wide window views of the passing countryside
• Complimentary newspapers and magazines
• Full English breakfast with champagne served on outward journey
• Light lunch served before arrival
• Choice of different tours at destination, included in ticket price
• Canapés and five course silver service dinner served on return journey
• All food freshly cooked on board by a highly experienced team of chefs
• Selection of complimentary fine wines, spirits and beers served with dinner