Breaking Travel News

Yosemite visitors die of rodent-borne virus

Yosemite visitors die of rodent-borne virus

Yosemite National Park has set up a general phone line for concerns relating to the recent outbreak of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS), which has infected six campsite visitors and been blamed for the death of two.

The rodent-borne virus, is thought to have broken out in the luxurious signature cabins in the Curry Village.

1,000 campers who stayed in Curry Village in the past eight weeks have been emailed to alert them of the symptoms.

There is no known cure for the virus, spread by infected rodent droppings. Symptoms can take up to six weeks to show and one third of cases are fatal.

Yosemite issued a statement on its website which says: “Individuals who stayed in Curry Village “Signature Series Cabins” between June 10 and August 24 should seek immediate medical attention if they exhibit any symptoms of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS).


“The disease begins with fever, aches, and flu-like symptoms, but can progress rapidly to life-threatening illness. The symptoms of HPS can occur from one to six weeks after exposure to hantavirus.

“Early medical attention is critical for individuals who contract hantavirus. If you are concerned you may have been exposed to the virus you should contact your local health care provider immediately.

Earlier this week, all 91 “signature” cabins were closed after deer mice, which carry the virus, were found in-between the walls of the luxury tents.

As an added precaution, all visitors to the park are now receiving a brochure about the virus and how to protect themselves.

Nearly four million people visit Yosemite National Park in California each year.