Locatel and Philips bring true interactive TV in reach of wider hotel market
Locatel, the European leader in multimedia solutions for the hospitality sector, has launched an innovative new portal ‘Eclipse MiRa’, bundled with Philips MediaSuite TVs. The turnkey solution specifically addresses the needs of 3 and 4 star hoteliers to offer high quality, revenue driving interactive services, without the need for major investments in equipment, networks or running costs.
The hospitality sector faces growing expectations from clients in terms of the quality of service and choice that they expect from their in-room entertainment systems. However, to provide a range of interactive information and entertainment services, hotels were previously obliged to make onerous investments to upgrade their internal cabling systems and install set top boxes in every room.
With support from Philips, Locatel’s research and development team has developed a cutting-edge multimedia infotainment solution based on the open standard HbbTV (Hybrid broadcast broadband TV) for connected TVs. Using the Eclipse MiRa portal, hoteliers can provide online interactivity and appealing entertainment services using their existing coaxial cable or wireless local area network. Features of the new portal include news and informations feeds, customised language interfaces and messaging, a wide range of TV and radio channels and on demand blockbuster films. Hotels can further tailor onscreen content and drive revenues by adding targeted in-house promotional offers and advertising, via an easy-to-use interface. Furthermore, the Eclipse MiRA – Philips MediaSuite solution means that set top boxes are a thing of the past. Installation is fast, easy and cost efficient.
Low total cost of ownership
Eclipse MiRa is designed to meet mid-range hoteliers’ needs, with a strong focus on the reduction of capital and operating costs:
· The server-based design makes Eclipse MiRa easy to operate, maintain and modify even when guests are in their rooms.
· Eclipse MiRa can be bundled with the Locatel HSIA Wi-Fi solution reducing infrastructure costs to a minimum.
· Enhanced sustainability due to paperless promotion of hotel services via TV sets.
· Eclipse MiRA creates new revenue streams; both indirect (increased consumption of chargeable hotel services and third-party advertising) and direct (chargeable on demand movies).
· The Web-based publishing tool enables hoteliers to take full control of their guest experience by modifying the portal content in real time.
Moreover, Eclipse MiRa services strengthen hotel brand value and brand recognition while dramatically increasing guest loyalty:
· Personalisation of user interface with video backgrounds.
· Expanded infotainment offering with enriched electronic program guide, information, weather forecasts, live newsfeeds, pre-DVD on demand movies and city guides with extensive information and location maps.
· The intuitive, easy-to-learn user interface allows for fast access to the desired content.
Excellent picture quality and sustainability
Thanks to the bundling of the Eclipse MiRa solution with Philips’ new 32’’ (81.3cm) and 40’’ (101.6cm) MediaSuite LED TVs, featuring 400MHz Perfect Motion Rate, hotel guests can enjoy crystal-clear picture quality. In addition, with power saving Philips MediaSuite TVs (energy label A) hoteliers can optimise their environmental footprint. The TVs’ DVB-T/C unified channel plan management allows hotels to re-use their existing digital TV headend.
Expanding guest services on existing coax infrastructure
“We are delighted to launch our new Eclipse MiRa solution” said Pierre Lestage, Locatel CEO. “Previously, for expenditure reasons, a significant number of mid-range hotels could only offer very limited in-room service with stand-alone TV sets and digital TV channels, which did not meet their guests’ expectations. We foresee Eclipse MiRa as a strong business driver and leverage for 3* and 4* hoteliers wishing to expand their in-room offering. This is a significant move to enrich our portfolio from our already successful Eclipse IPTV high-end product. Philips is definitely the right partner to make this offer a commercial success.”
State-of-the-art online services at minimum cost
“The unique solution for coaxial networks allows hoteliers to offer the latest in in-room entertainment, without the requirement to invest in new and expensive cabling,” said Scott Housley, General Manager at Philips Hotel TV. “As the Locatel solution running on Philips MediaSuite TVs does not require a set-top box, it can be installed and operated at a minimum cost. It offers a broad selection of interactive services, communication between hotelier and guests and allows for new revenue models. Plus, the high picture quality and the slim design of our MediaSuite TVs give guests a feeling they normally only can experience at home.”