Copa Holdings, S.A., parent company of Copa Airlines and Aero Republica, today announced financial results for the second quarter of 2010 (2Q10). The terms “Copa Holdings” or “the Company” refer to the consolidated entity, whose operating subsidiaries are Copa Airlines and Aero Republica. The following financial and operating information, unless otherwise indicated, is presented in accordance with US GAAP. See the accompanying reconciliation of non-GAAP financial information to GAAP financial information included in financial tables section of this earnings release. Unless otherwise stated, all comparisons with prior periods refer to the second quarter of 2009 (2Q09).
OPERATING AND FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS
* Copa Holdings reported net income of US$18.6 million for 2Q10, or earnings per share (EPS) of US$0.42. Excluding special items, Copa Holdings would have reported an adjusted net income of $26.3 million, or $0.60 per share, compared to an adjusted net income of US$28.1 million or US$0.64 per share for 2Q09.
* Operating income for 2Q10 came in at US$32.5 million, representing an operating margin of 10.7% compared to an operating margin of 13.2% in 2Q09.
* In 2Q10, total revenues increased to US$303.4 million, representing growth of 9.3%, on 5.0% capacity expansion. Yield per passenger mile decreased 2.5% to 15.2 cents mainly as a result of lower fares in Venezuela and the Colombian domestic market; however, consolidated operating revenue per available seat mile (RASM) increased 4.1% to 11.9 cents.
* For 2Q10, consolidated load factor for the quarter increased 4.4 percentage points to 73.1%, as consolidated passenger traffic grew 11.6% on 5% capacity increase.
* Operating cost per available seat mile (CASM) increased 7.1%, from 9.9 cents in 2Q09 to 10.6 cents in 2Q10. CASM, excluding fuel costs, increased 4.3% from 7.1 cents in 2Q09 to 7.4 cents in 2Q10 mainly as a result of a stronger Colombian currency and expenses related to additional capacity mainly to support growth in the second half of 2010.
* Cash, short term and long term investments ended 2Q10 at US$359.4 million, representing 28% of the last twelve months’ revenues.
* In May, Copa Airlines took delivery of two Boeing 737-800s ending the quarter with a consolidated fleet of 60 aircraft.
* In June, Copa Airlines increased frequencies to five markets: Sao Paulo (Brazil), Los Angeles (USA), Guatemala City (Guatemala), Havana (Cuba) and Punta Cana (Dominican Republic). Also in June, Aero Republica increased frequencies into Panama City from Bogota and Medellin. Additionally, as part of its ongoing international expansion, Aero Republica recently announced that beginning in October it will launch new service from Bogota to Mexico City and Havana.
* For 2Q10, Copa Holdings reported consolidated on-time performance of 91.6% and a flight-completion factor of 99.7%, maintaining its position among the best in the industry.
* On June 15, 2010, the Company paid its annual dividend which amounted to $1.09 per share, representing 20% of 2009 consolidated net income. The dividend was paid to shareholders of record as of May 31, 2010.