Copa Holdings, today announced financial results for the second quarter of 2013 (2Q13). The terms “Copa Holdings” or “the Company” refer to the consolidated entity. The following financial information, unless otherwise indicated, is presented in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). See the accompanying reconciliation of non-IFRS financial information to IFRS financial information included in financial tables section of this earnings release. Unless otherwise stated, all comparisons with prior periods refer to the second quarter of 2012 (2Q12).
OPERATING AND FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS
* Copa Holdings reported net income of US$74.4 million for 2Q13, or diluted earnings per share (EPS) of US$1.68. Excluding special items, Copa Holdings would have reported an adjusted net income of $85.0 million, or $1.92 per share, a 45.3% increase over adjusted net income of US$58.5 million and US$1.32 per share for 2Q12.
* Operating income for 2Q13 came in at US$97.7 million, a 34.5% increase over operating income of US$72.6 million in 2Q12. Operating margin for the period came in at 16.5%, compared to 14.1% in 2Q12, as a result of lower unit costs.
* Total revenues increased 14.8% to US$592.0 million. Yield per passenger mile decreased 4.6% to 16.4 cents and operating revenue per available seat mile (RASM) decreased 2.5% to 12.8 cents. However, adjusting for a 7.3% increase in length of haul, yields decreased 1.2% and RASM increased 1.0%.
* For 2Q13, passenger traffic (RPMs) grew 20.4% on a 17.7% capacity expansion. Consolidated load factor came in at 75.3%, or 1.7 percentage points above 2Q12.
* Operating cost per available seat mile (CASM) decreased 5.2%, from 11.3 cents in 2Q12 to 10.7 cents in 2Q13. CASM, excluding fuel costs, decreased 2.6% to 6.7 cents.
* Cash, short term and long term investments ended 2Q13 at US$848.7 million, representing 35.0% of the last twelve months’ revenues.
* During the second quarter, Copa Airlines took delivery of one Boeing 737-800 aircraft. As a result, Copa Holdings ended the quarter with a consolidated fleet of 86 aircraft.
* For 2Q13, Copa Holdings reported consolidated on-time performance of 89.3% and a flight-completion factor of 99.7%, maintaining its position among the best in the industry.
* On July 17, 2013, Copa Airlines announced it will begin nonstop service four times a week from Panama to Tampa, Fla., on December 16, 2013. Tampa will be Copa Airlines’ ninth U.S. destination and its 66th destination overall.
* On August 7, 2013, the Board of Directors of Copa Holdings resolved to change the Company’s dividend policy to increase the annual distribution to an amount equal to 40% of the prior years’ annual consolidated net income. In addition, dividends going forward will be distributed in equal quarterly installments during the months of March, June, September and December, subject to board approval each quarter. On August * 7, 2013, the Board of Directors also approved dividend payments payable at the end of both 3Q13 and 4Q13, in amounts equal to 10% of the consolidated net income of 2012.