Breaking Travel News

Tui News

TUI Travel UK to increase its apprenticeship programme by 50% for 2010

TUI Travel UK to increase its apprenticeship programme by 50% for 2010

29 September 2009 Press Release Airline News

On the day that Gordon Brown promised to “encourage a whole new generation of young Britons to embrace ambition and British enterprise”, TUI Travel UK & Ireland (TUI UK), parent company of Thomson and First Choice, has reaffirmed its pledge to create 500 new apprenticeship places for young people in 2010.

Late bookings flurry boost Tui profits 57%

Late bookings flurry boost Tui profits 57%

12 August 2009 Tourism News

A surge in late booking by UK holidaymakers has helped profits of Tui Travel rise 57% to £102m in the quarter ending June. Receding fears over swine flu, including a flurry of bookings to Mexico, also contributed to figures that remain on target for the financial year ending 30 September.

Tui to shore up Hapag Lloyd

13 July 2009 Hotel News

Tui has agreed in principle to meet part of the financial assistance to beleaguered shipping company Hapag Lloyd, which is partly sold off in March.

Thomson Sport partners World Sport Destination Expo

2 July 2009 Press Release Travel Events News

World Sport Destination Expo, “The Global Market Place for Sport Tourism”, has appointed the world leader in sports travel, Thomson Sport, as its Official Travel Partner.Thomson Sport, the specialist division of travel giant TUI, will be responsible for organising travel, accommodation and additional services for officials and delegates attending the ground-breaking sport tourism exhibition, which takes place during FIFA 2010 in the Official Host City, Johannesburg, 5-9 July 2010.

TUI Travel reports major losses

21 May 2009 Press Release Tourism News

TUI Travel has reported a record £333 million half-year loss after figures were hit by the weak pound and Easter falling in the second half of its trading year. The deficit for the First Choice and Thomson holidays firm was 13% wider than 2008, although it did see first-half revenues improve 4% to £5.38 billion.

TUI eyes European sale

20 April 2009 Press Release Tourism News

The TUI Group is looking at a strategic reshuffle that would see its power base shift from the UK towards Germany. Its UK-listed TUI Travel, which handles most of its TUI Tourism, is currently 51 percent owned by the Hanover-based TUI Group.The move would see the remaining 49 percent share sold to the controlling shareholder, with TUI Travel losing its continental operations.

TUI enters Russia and Ukraine

15 April 2009 Press Release Tourism News

TUI Travel has announced its entry into the Russian travel market through a joint venture with oligarch Alexei Mordashov.The group, which first announced plans to create a joint venture with the Russian billionaire’s S-Group Capital Management last April, said it had now signed a definitive agreement.

TUI and ESAS buy into Air Berlin

30 March 2009 Press Release Airline News

TUI Travel has acquired a 19.9 percent share in the Europe’s third largest low-cost carrier, Air Berlin, for €64.8m, in a strategic alliance deal that will also see Air Berlin taking over operations of TUI’s struggling German airline operations, Hapag-Lloyd Flug and Tuifly.The announcement comes the day after a separate deal between Air Berlin and ESAS Holdings, a Turkish conglomerate, for a 15.3 percent in Air Berlin formerly held by U.S. billionaire Len Blavatnik. The two deals end months of speculation over the future ownership of the budget carrier.

Summer surge helps TUI halve losses

25 March 2009 Press Release Tourism News

A late surge in summer bookings has helped position TUI Travel to comfortably meet expectations for the current financial year.TUI Travel, Europe’s largest travel firm, said its first quarter underlying operating loss was reduced to £34.9 million from a loss of £63.3 million in the same period the previous year. Revenues rose 9% to £2,746m to £2,523m.

Flight to value keeps Tui on target

5 February 2009 Press Release Airline News

Cash-strapped Britons opting for cheap package holidays coupled with capacity cuts is keeping Tui Travel on track despite weakening discretionary spending, the group announced.In an interim management statement, Tui said: “Despite the challenging trading environment and an anticipated flatter booking profile, we are achieving our load factor and margin targets due to our ongoing management of capacity, and we expect this to continue through the summer season.”