The present status of the prefeasibility studies for High Speed Rail Projects in the country, corridor-wise, is as under:
1. Pune-Mumbai-Ahmedabad – The prefeasibility study has been completed
2. Delhi-Chandigarh-Amritsar – The technical evaluation of the offers has been completed and financial bid is under finalization.
3. Delhi-Agra-Lucknow-Varanasi-Patna – The study is in progress. Consultant has submitted Inception Report, Interim Report No. I and II and Draft Final Report to the Ministry.
4. Howrah-Haldia – The study is in progress. Consultant has submitted Inception Report, Interim Report No. I & II and Draft Final Report to Ministry.
5. Hyderabad-Dornakal-Vijaywada-Chennai – Consultant has been engaged and study is in progress.
6. Chennai-Bangalore-Coimbatore-Ernakulam-Thiruvananthapuram – Technical bids have been evaluated and financial bids are under evaluation. India will need technical and financial cooperation from countries which are already operating High Speed systems, including Japan.
The draft bill for the formation of National High Speed Rail Authority (NHSRA) has already been moved for approval of the Government.
National High Speed Rail Authority will initiate steps for pre-construction activities. No time-frame has been set for it.