A total of 49 international and regional conventions have been secured for Malaysia by the Malaysia Convention & Exhibition Bureau (MyCEB) with industry partners in 2011.
Malaysia’s stellar performance and the strong display of commitment by Ministry of Tourism, various government agencies, Sarawak Convention Bureau, Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre and other strategic partners in securing business events for the country further reinforce Malaysia’s positioning as Asia’s Business Events Hub.
“With an average of 730 delegates per event, these conventions are expected to attract over 35,750 delegates to Malaysia between 2012-2019 and generate in excess of RM382 million (EUR91 million, USD123 million, AUD123 million) in economic impact for the country,” said Mr Zulkefli Hj Sharif, Chief Executive Officer, MyCEB.
One of the most significant successes includes the world’s largest meeting of Chinese finance and insurance professionals, the International Dragon Award Annual Conference 2013 (5,000 delegates), Women Deliver Conference 2013 (4,500 delegates)
Initiatives like the Malaysia Twin Deal programme for the Chinese market proven successful having already secured 13 groups with 9,000 delegates confirmed from the campaign. The Twin Deals programme has been extended to Taiwan, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand and other key markets soon.
The period in review also saw MyCEB providing support towards 198 business events, including 130 conventions, 62 corporate meetings/incentives and 6 exhibitions. These events accounted for 150,935 delegates with an estimated RM 1 billion (EUR254 million, USD344 million, AUD344 million) in economic impact.
“We view these positive results as very promising for Malaysia entering the new financial year (2012). With our new branding campaign launch ‘Malaysia – Asia’s Business Events Hub’ plus a host of other initiatives introduced including a sales mission to China, Industry Partner Programme, implementation of a Customer Relationship Management programme and a growing focus on innovation, we hope to continue these efforts to progressively realise our mission,” added Mr Zulkefli.
Highlights of conventions secured in 2011:
· 81st Annual Scientific Congress of Royal Australasian College of Surgeons 2012 – 2,500 delegates
· 43rd Union World Conference on Lung Health 2012 – 2,800 delegates
· 8th Design & Health World Congress & Exhibition 2012 – 1,000 delegates
· 9th World Congress of Chinese Medicine 2012 – 1,000 delegates
· 7th IAS HIV Conference in Pathogenesis, treatment and Prevention 2013 – 5,000 -6,000 delegates
· International Dragon Award (IDA) Annual Conference 2013 – 5,000 delegates
· Women Deliver Conference 2013 – 4,500 delegates
· 12th International Congress on Obesity 2014 – 3,000 delegates
· Human Genome Meeting 2015 – 1,000 delegates