British Airways has agreed a multi million pound deal for the new Thales TopSeries In Flight Entertainment system to be installed on its new delivery aircraft and next generation aircraft. With bigger, clearer LCD screens, the multimedia system will give customers access more than 100 movies, 300 programmes and 400 CDs as well as a range of radio programmes and podcasts whenever they want.
It also includes a new range of interactive and multiplayer games as well as several e-learning applications, which will allow customers to enjoy a web-like experience from their seat.
Other features include:
- Enhanced wide screen sizes are 15.4” in First Class, 12.1” in Club World, 10.6” in World Traveller Plus and 8.9” in World Traveller
- USB and RCA jack ports at each seat throughout the cabin for personal electronic device (PED) connection and charging.
- In-seat laptop power plugs throughout the cabin.
- Noise cancelling headsets in all premium class seats : First, Club World and World Traveller Plus.
- New 3-D interactive moving map applications in all cabins
Jamie Cassidy, British Airways general manager, product management said: “The new Thales IFE system will go way beyond the basics. It is an ‘everything on demand’ system that lets passengers do what they want when they want.”
Mark Barclay, Vice President and Managing Director at Thales UK’s aerospace business said: “Thales will deliver an In Flight entertainment system that reinforces British Airways’ brand and service in all classes. We are delighted about the selection and anticipate that, together, our two companies will keep raising the bar in this field.”
The system will be delivered for installation in 2010 on new delivery Boeing 777-300ERs, next generation Airbus A380 aircraft and the Boeing 787 Dreamliners.