In the coming year, nine new InterContinental Hotels & Resorts are currently scheduled to open around the world in the United States, China, Europe and the Middle East.Andrew Cosslett, Chief Executive of InterContinental Hotels Group PLC, commented: “The strength of the InterContinental brand represents a great draw for hotel owners and guests worldwide. The high levels of service and quality, coupled with a unique understanding of local cultures, create a fantastic position for InterContinental as an international hotel brand. We look forward to opening further InterContinental hotels around the world as we grow this iconic brand.”
Included among these new openings in 2006 are three resorts located in Spain, Egypt and Panama, increasing the brand’s total resort portfolio to 20.
Additional highlights anticipated in 2006 include the first InterContinental hotel to open in the key gateway city of Boston; two new InterContinental hotels to open in Greater China - in Chongqing and Shenzhen - bringing the brand’s total distribution to 7 hotels; and the 7th InterContinental hotel to open in Egypt.
IHG continues to focus its growth efforts for the InterContinental brand geographically in the United States while also developing its resort portfolio around the world.
Looking beyond into 2007, the company expects to continue a steady pace of new openings that include several resorts in the Asia Pacific region as well as the new landmark InterContinental Dubai Festival City that will incorporate a convention centre and private residences.
In 2005, InterContinental opened seven hotels in primary commercial destinations such as Beijing and Dusseldorf; and in distinctive resort destinations such as Abu Soma, Egypt, Berchtesgaden, Germany and Pafos, Cyprus.
Jenifer Zeigler, senior vice president, global brand management, InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, commented: “Our goal is to ensure that InterContinental Hotels & Resorts is the brand of choice for experiential travellers and the evolving generation of hotel guests in markets around the world.”
A current list of 2006 InterContinental hotel openings follows below:
2006 InterContinental Hotels & Resorts Scheduled Hotel Openings(i)
InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, Missouri
- Opened 12 January 2006; franchise hotel; AAA Four Diamond hotel consistently rated as Kansas City’s best hotel.
InterContinental Harbor Court Baltimore, Maryland
- Managed hotel January 2006; licensed hotel April 2006; joins sister hotel The Willard InterContinental along Washington/Baltimore corridor.
InterContinental Playa Bonita Resort & Spa, Panama
- Anticipated opening late spring 2006; first resort and spa of its kind in Latin America located on the Panama Canal.
InterContinental Mar Menor Golf Resort, Spain
- Anticipated opening June 2006; includes Jack Nicklaus Design championship golf course and ESPA wellness centre.
InterContinental Chongqing, China
- Anticipated opening June 2006; marks the 6th InterContinental hotel in Greater China; Located in a 42-story twin tower mixed-use complex in the centre of the CBD and is a landmark building in the city.
InterContinental Taba Heights Resort, Egypt
- Anticipated opening July 2006; marks the 7th InterContinental hotel in Egypt and the 6th InterContinental resort in the Middle East.
InterContinental Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
- Anticipated opening July 2006; marks the 12th InterContinental hotel in The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
InterContinental Belgrade, Serbia
- November; originally opened as an InterContinental in 1979 until the Balkan War of the 1990’s; due to be re-branded and open officially as an InterContinental Hotel during 2006 following renovation.
InterContinental Boston, Massachusetts
- Anticipated opening October 2006; first InterContinental residential hotel development in the United States with 130 private residences.
InterContinental Shenzhen, China
- Anticipated opening fourth quarter 2006; this 549-room new build hotel will be the first luxury hotel in Shenzhen located in the Nanshan district, near key attractions and the city’s main exhibition centre.
(i)All projected openings during 2006 are estimated based on current timelines.
A past list of 2005 InterContinental hotel openings follows below:
InterContinental Abu Soma Resort, Egypt
- Opened in January; 6th InterContinental hotel in Egypt.
InterContinental Aqaba, Jordan
- Opened in May; located on Gulf of Aqaba; 2nd InterContinental hotel in Jordan.
InterContinental Aphrodite Hills Resort Hotel, Cyprus
- Opened in March; full service golf, tennis and spa resort.
InterContinental Resort Berchtesgaden, Germany
- Opened in March; first InterContinental Resort in Germany.
InterContinental Financial Street Beijing, China
- Opened in May; marks the 5th InterContinental hotel in Greater China and first in Beijing.
InterContinental Dusseldorf, Germany
- Opened in September; marks the 6th InterContinental hotel in Germany.
Presidente InterContinental Villa Mercedes MÌ¬rida, Mexico
- Opened in November; marks 9th InterContinental hotel in Mexico.