American Airlines AAdvantage® members now have the ability to redeem AAdvantage miles for flights on GOL, one of South America’s largest airlines.
American and GOL began their relationship more than a year ago and have been expanding cooperative services for customers of both airlines ever since. The cooperation ranges from codesharing to a series of frequent flyer enhancements for American’s AAdvantage program members as well as members of GOL’s frequent flyer program, Smiles.
Some of the important milestones that have occurred since American and GOL initiated their relationship in August 2008 include:
* January 2009 – began selling tickets for combined itineraries
* August 2009 – began frequent flyer cooperation allowing members of the AAdvantage and Smiles programs to earn miles when flying on each other’s flights
* November 2009 – expanded frequent flyer cooperation with Smiles members redeeming miles for travel on American’s flights
* December 2009 – signed codeshare agreement
* Today – expanded frequent flyer cooperation with AAdvantage members redeeming miles for travel on GOL flights
* 2nd Quarter 2010 – expect to initiate codeshare service when all governmental approvals have been received
The codeshare agreement not only adds more cities to American’s network in Brazil, but also will offer customers a smoother, more convenient travel experience. American, a founding member of the oneworld® Alliance, is the largest U.S. airline to Brazil, currently serving the five major Brazilian cities of Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte, Recife, and Salvador nonstop from gateways in Miami, New York and Dallas/Fort Worth. GOL is one of South America’s largest airlines offering service to 50 destinations in Brazil, more than any other airline. The new codeshare agreement will allow American to offer a level of accessibility in Brazil unequalled by any other U.S. airline.
American serves its five nonstop destinations in Brazil with 58 weekly flights to and from Miami International Airport, New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport and Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport. GOL operates nearly 800 daily flights to 50 cities in Brazil and 10 destinations elsewhere in South America and the Caribbean.