The UN Security Council has condemned the use of violence against peaceful protestors in Libya calling for those responsible to be held into account.
At least 300 people have been killed in the uprising, most of whom are civilians.
The UN statement was reached by the 15-nation council following a day of discussions about the clashes in the North African country.
The council called for an immediate end to violence and “steps to address the legitimate demands of the population, including through national dialogue.”
Libyan authorities were urged to act with restraint, to respect human rights and grant immediate access to rights monitors and aid agencies.
“The members of the Security Council stressed the importance of accountability. They underscored the need to hold to account those responsible for attacks, including by forces under their control, on civilians,” the statement said.
The statement came hours after a defiant Muammar Gaddafi, Libya’s leader, vowed to crush a growing revolt which has seen eastern regions break free of his 41-year rule and brought unrest to Tripoli, the capital.
During a rambling 75-minute speech broadcast on state television on Tuesday, Col Gaddafi vowed to crush the vowed: “I am not going to leave this land. I will die here as a martyr. I shall remain here defiant.”
Human Rights Watch says 300 people have died in the violence so far. Libya’s interior ministry confirmed that figure, saying it was made up of 189 civilians and 111 soldiers.
Britain has advised its citizens to leave where possible – however, many flights out of the country have been cancelled.
British Airways and BMI both cancelled all flights today.
The majority of airport offices in Tripoli are also closed, with those seeking flights advised to travel to the airport carrying sufficient cash to buy tickets.
Government officials have virtually shutdown the internet and phone networks, making internal communication in the country – and the purchase of tickets - difficult.