Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn hotels in Alexandria exceed Virginia Green program’s “Core Activities”.
The Crowne Plaza Old Town Alexandria and Holiday Inn Alexandria - Historic District have received certification by Virginia Green for their efforts to provide an eco-sensitive lodging option in the Washington D.C. suburb of Alexandria, Virginia.
To achieve certification, both hotels have enacted procedures and policies to satisfy and exceed Virginia Green’s “Core Activities”. These include:
• Optional Linen Service - sheets and towels are not changed every day automatically
• Recycling - guests have an opportunity to recycle during their stay
• Water Conservation - reduced water use procedures implemented throughout the property
• Energy Conservation - a plan must be in place to address energy conservation and efficiency opportunities
• Green Events, Conferences and Meetings - meeting facilities can accommodate “green” events
According to the hotel, the upgrades to the 254-room and 178-room hotel save up to 1,012,000 lbs. of coal per year on powering light bulbs alone, over the life of the bulbs. That equates to 2,631,200 lbs. of carbon dioxide and 40,480 lbs. of sulfur dioxide saved from release into the atmosphere (estimates and calculations by http://www.cflbulbs.com).
Virginia Green is a self-certified program sponsored by the Virginia Department of Environmental Equality, Virginia Tourism Corporation and the Virginia Hospitality and Tourism Association. Along with the Virginia Green Lodging program, Virginia Green certifies restaurants, conference centers, attractions and even one-time events.
The Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn join a limited number of green hotels in Alexandria, VA.
“The change in the product that our guests receive during their stay is great to see, however knowing what our million-dollar “reinvention” means to the reduction of our carbon footprint is astounding. Reducing our carbon footprint and lessening our dependence on oil is a very rewarding feeling,” said Durwood Gould, Director of Sales and Marketing for IHG representing both Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn and Suites Old Town Alexandria.