Companies working across the rail industry last night scooped top business awards when they were honoured for producing projects of excellence at Network Rail’s first annual Partnership Awards ceremony.
The awards which were held at the Hilton Birmingham Metropole and hosted by comedian Jimmy Carr, provide Network Rail with the opportunity to recognise and reward excellence and best practice.
These new awards proved to be extremely popular, receiving over 360 entries submitted and 50 organisations shortlisted. The 10 categories and winners included:
1. Best project award – Carillion
2. Community engagement award - Severnside Community Rail Partnership and First Great Western
3. Environmental sustainability award - Birse Rail
4. Good lineside neighbour award - Volkerfitzpatrick Ltd
5. Heritage award - May Gurney
6. Information technology award - AMT-SYBEX Ltd
7. Innovation award - FLI Structures
8. Investing in people award - Benchmark Training Ltd
9. Safety award - Balfour Beatty Civil Engineering Ltd
10. Team contribution award - Westinghouse Rail Systems, Morgan Est and Colas Rail
Balfour Beatty also walked away with the supplier of the year award. Judges gave this award based on an overall demonstration of best practice and excellence in all areas.
Chief executive Iain Coucher said: “Selecting the winners was tough and all our short-listed entrants should feel proud to have made it through such an impressive pool of entries. Our finalists have made a real difference to Network Rail and the millions of people who travel by rail every day. Congratulations to everyone.”