With its wonderful climate and diverse range of gastronomy, music, opera, art and architecture, Spain has long been the destination of choice for discerning travellers. And, with the introduction of its first-ever dedicated Spain brochure, Kirker has given independent agents an opportunity to deliver exceptional service to clients looking for a short break or multi-centre itinerary.
Reflecting the broad and varied scope of its Spanish programme, Kirker’s new brochure offers clients a tempting choice of locations. Ranging from the classic cities of Seville, Barcelona and Madrid to the lesser-known delights of Avila, Toledo and Salamanca, and from the beautiful coast and countryside of Andalucia, Catalunya and Valencia to the island escapes of Mallorca, Tenerife and Ibiza, the only difficult decision will be where to visit first!
Can’t settle on one destination alone? Allow Kirker’s expert team to create a tailor-made itinerary that takes in a number of city, coast and countryside highlights, adding extra touches such as restaurant recommendations, opera/ballet tickets or private guided tours, arranged by the Kirker Concierge. Or why not browse through the sample itineraries provided in the Spain brochure which include ‘The Road to Santiago’ (eight nights combining Bilbao, Burgos, León and Santiago de Compostela), ‘Artistic Catalunya’ (seven nights combining Barcelona and Cadaques) and ‘Valencia and the Blossom Coast’ (eight nights combining Valencia, El Saler and Denia)?
No trip to Northern Spain would be complete without a journey on either the iconic El Transcantábrico or the new La Robla luxury train, full details of which are featured in the new Kirker brochure. Both offer a choice of set itineraries - ‘railway cruises’ that include comfortable travel by train between destinations, all meals and a series of guided excursions (by luxury coach) en route. A week’s holiday with five nights on El Transcantábrico (from Santiago to León), flights, transfers and two nights’ hotel accommodation. Three nights on board La Robla (from Bilbao to León) with two nights’ hotel accommodation in Bilbao.
Also NEW for 2011 are:
* CATALUNYA COAST & COUNTRYSIDE - Joining Kirker’s selection in this beautiful north-eastern corner of Spain are four new characterful properties. Explore the mediaeval city of Girona and its magnificent cathedral from the four-star superior Llegendes de Cathedral or head to the coast at Cadaques, where the three-star Rocamar hotel is ideally placed to enjoy galleries and great seafood. For five-star treatment amid fine art and antique furnishings, try the Hostal de la Gavina at S’Agaro, while the three-star superior Sant Roc hotel offers an elevated seafront position at the pretty fishing port of Calella de Palafrugell.
* VALENCIA COAST & COUNTRYSIDE - Complementing its popular city breaks to Spain’s third city, Kirker now offers four hotels in the country’s ‘market garden’ region. Just ten miles south of Valencia in the Albufera nature reserve, the four-star Parador de el Saler has a superb 18-hole golf course and outstanding sea views, while spa enthusiasts can indulge in treatments created from citrus fruits in the peaceful setting of the Mas de Canicatti, near Vilamarxant. The cosmopolitan Costa Blanca town of Denia is the setting for La Posada del Mar or why not stay right on the beach at the modern white-washed Parador Javea, set half way between Valencia and Alicante?
* ANDALUCIA - Eternally popular with visitors to Spain, Andalucia continues to enthrall in 2011. New to Kirker’s programme are the five-star deluxe Villa Padierna, offering luxury and a wealth of leisure facilities away from the hustle and bustle of the coast; and Trasierra, a first-class country inn providing a relaxed, home-from-home ambience and delicious home-cooked dinners. For a short stay at the end of a self-drive itinerary, Kirker recommends the five-star Posada del Patio, Màlaga’s newest and only five-star hotel, while the addition of Baeza and Ubeda to its range of Andalucian towns presents new accommodation options at the four-star superior Puerta de la Luna and the four-star Parador Ubeda respectively.
* NORTHERN SPAIN - Marvel at the architectural wonder of Viura in La Rioja, a contemporary four-star superior property of irregularly-positioned cubes that contrasts strikingly with its traditional village surroundings. Or head to Pamplona and the four-star deluxe Palacio Guendulain, a stylish and elegant hotel with a wonderful private art collection and display of classic cars and carriages.
Also new in Northern Spain for 2011 are Burgos, the final resting place of El Cid, the Basque capital Vitoria-Gasteiz, the historic port city of La Coruña.
* CASTILLE - This region of far-reaching landscapes, historic towns and cities, and wonderful architecture encapsulates the very essence of Spain. Linked together by an excellent rail network, Castille lends itself perfectly to a multi-centre Kirker itinerary, encompassing Avila, Segovia.
* SPANISH ISLANDS - Ibiza and La Gomera join Kirker’s Spanish islands’ selection for the first time this year. Particularly recommended for spring and autumn breaks, Ibiza’s small country roads – winding through unspoilt farmland, olive groves and farms – are perfect for walking and cycling. Visitors seeking peace and quiet amid natural surroundings need look no further than La Gomera, the Canaries’ second smallest island with UNESCO-protected Garajonay National Park and dramatic coastal scenery to enjoy.
*Prices are based on two sharing and include three nights’ accommodation with breakfast, return flights and private transfers to/from the hotel (or car hire) and, for many destinations, Kirker’s Guide Notes to restaurants and sightseeing.
Kirker’s short breaks to Madrid also include a 48-hour Cultura Card, giving clients guaranteed entrance to over 40 of the city’s finest museums and palaces including the Prado, Thyssen, Reina Sofia and Sorolla museums, as well as the Palacio Real. The card also gives discounts at a number of the city’s shops and restaurants.