Rotana has announced the launch of its Global Corporate Sustainability Platform -Rotana Earth.
The platform is a comprehensive framework which seeks to address environmental, economic and social sustainability concerns and will be implemented across the hotel brand’s entire portfolio of new and operating hotels, hotel apartments and resorts.
The initiative supports Rotana’s ambitious expansion plans to open ten properties in the coming two years.
“With growth comes responsibility.
“It’s a conscious strategy we’ve embraced not just to follow the pack but to demonstrate a sense of responsibility to our generation and those to follow – to our guests, our colleagues, our environment and the various communities that we operate and live in,” said Omer Kaddouri, Rotana chief operating officer.
“The goal of Rotana Earth is to guide our transition to sustainable development through setting fundamental values and principles that will help build a solid future for the company and the community.”
To achieve this goal, Rotana Earth promotes the implementation of sustainable business practices that minimise harm and maximise benefit to the environment, the economy and local communities.
Key sustainability areas the company has chosen to focus on include:
- Environment: Through energy optimisation strategies focused on lighting, heating and cooling systems, adopting of cleaner technologies like solar energy, phasing out ozone depleting refrigerators, employing waste management contractors to help reduce waste production and expand recycling efforts, etc.
- Colleagues: Through training programmes, recognition and awards for adopting best practice.
- Guests: Educational and inspirational initiatives such as towel and bed sheet reuse programmes, Earth Hour and World Water Day participatory programmes, etc.
- Suppliers: Using sustainable and responsibly sourced menu products, recycled materials and plans to develop a procurement sustainability policy that adds responsible purchasing criteria to the supplier selection programme.
- Communities: Community engagement activities that focus on children’s education and development, awareness raising walks, beach clean-up activities, plant a tree campaigns, etc.
- Governance: A clearly defined code of business and ethics, a transparent auditing process, etc.
Detailed information on each key sustainable area, important milestones and success stories for the calendar year 2012 was also released in the latest Rotana Sustainability Report.