Qatar Airways has switched its operations at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport from Terminal 4 to Terminal 8 as part of the airline’s drive to offer passengers enhanced levels of service.
Terminal 8 is one of the airport’s newest and most modern terminals, offering 5-star amenities and services to Qatar Airways’ customers departing, arriving and transiting through New York.
Qatar Airways currently operates daily scheduled flights between Doha and New York using its flagship Boeing 777 (Extended Range) aircraft in a two-class configuration of 42 seats in Business Class and 293 in Economy.
Completed in 2007, Terminal 8 is twice the size of New York’s Yankee Stadium - home to the city’s renowned baseball team. The terminal has 29 gates and 36 jet bridges, dozens of retail and food outlets, and a U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility that can process more than 1,600 passengers an hour. Additionally, Qatar Airways’ Business Class travellers will have access to the Admirals Club Lounge. All Qatar Airways passengers will see a refined check-in process and streamlined services at the conveniently located Gate 16.
Qatar Airways Chief Executive Officer Akbar Al Baker said: “Qatar Airways passengers will see a wide range of improved benefits from our flights departing and arriving at New York JFK’s Terminal 8. These include a dedicated spacious check-in area, enhanced baggage facilities, as well as a wider selection of restaurants and retail stores.
“The move allows the airline to better extend our 5-star services to our passengers on the ground. The New York to Doha route plays a significant part in our ever-expanding global network and we are thrilled to enhance our service and operations here at JFK.”
In making this move, Qatar Airways will continue to contract with Swissport for ground services. The decision to continue with Swissport was made after a competitive bidding process.
Highlights of the new Terminal 8 facility include:
• Easy Check-In: Seamless check-in at Qatar Airways’ counters located in row five of the main hall.
• Conveniently Located Departure Gate: Flights will depart daily from Gate 16, located just past the security checkpoint.
• Streamlined Customs and Immigration Facilities: The spacious, 82,000-square-foot, customs and immigration facility is capable of processing more than 1,600 passengers per hour (26 passengers per minute).
• Admirals Club Access for Business Class Customers: Complimentary access to the American Airlines Flagship Lounge. The lounge is over 7,000-square-feet and offers complimentary Wi-Fi, premium beverages, a full buffet and shower facilities. Gold and Silver Privilege Club Members also have access to the facilities.
• Vast Retail and Restaurant Options: Terminal 8’s concession area covers nearly 53,000 square feet, and includes a variety of retail outlets such as Cartier, Lacoste, Brookstone, and Estée Lauder. It also offers an extensive variety of food and beverage options, including sit-down and quick service locations.
Qatar Airways’ fleet of 97 aircraft currently flies to 100 destinations across Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia Pacific, North and South America.
By 2013, Qatar Airways plans to serve more than 120 key business and leisure destinations worldwide with a modern fleet of over 120 aircraft.