Leading online travel booking site, Expedia.co.uk, today announces a major upgrade of its Expedia Trip Companion app, allowing people to access even more unique content, share trips and recommendations with friends and view in-depth destination advice from experts and other travellers.
The updated facebook application lets travellers explore their holiday destination like a local and discover places to go and things to see and do that go beyond the guidebook. In addition to expert content from Frommers, the recent updates bring together recommendations and reviews from other travellers via TripAdvisor and even insights and advice from locals, via Yelp.
Expedia Trip Companion is a facebook based planning tool that enables travellers to keep all details of their holiday stored safely in their facebook account. Once they have consulted the range of expert and insider advice available, travellers can go on to personalise a ‘Trip Guide’ of things they want to do and see on their trip and update it while they’re away to include their own hidden gems and discoveries. Once back home, they can even share their findings with friends and family via facebook, or make a note of them for return visits.
The updated Expedia Trip Companion app maintains core content from the original beta version but with the following updates:
1. Users can compile their own Trip Guide (aka a ‘To do List’ or ‘Wish List’), which can be shared on facebook or printed off to take with them on their holiday
2. Users can enter notes and recommendations and assign them to a location using the interactive map
3. Users can select a focal point such as a hotel location from which to filter content
4. Recommendations from Frommers and Yelp to research local points of interest
5. Hotel recommendations in the chosen location
6. A 5 day weather forecast and current exchange rate
7. Browse previous trips and share current/past Trip Guides with friends and family
“We’re constantly investing in new innovations and technologies which inspire people to get the most out of their travels and encourage them to share their experiences with the people that matter to them most,” comments Andy Washington, Managing Director for Expedia in the UK and Ireland.
“Our goal is to offer greater flexibility in catering for their differing needs and interests of UK travellers and the Expedia Trip Companion tool is just one example of the, inspirational and useful services we have been developing.” concludes Washington.
The app is currently available across Europe and can be downloaded on Facebook and at https://www.expediatripcompanion.com.