ATLANTA, Georgia—(Oct. 8, 2002) Six Continents Hotels, (www.6c.com) the world’s most global hotel company, has broken ground on its latest InterContinental hotel in Atlanta, Georgia—the home of Six Continents Hotels Americas headquarters.
The InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta is being developed at a cost of more than $100 million and is expected to open in 2004. The new company-owned and managed flagship property will be located in the heart of the Buckhead community on Peachtree Road. The 21-story high-rise will include 401 guest rooms, 21 suites and the largest ballroom space of any five-star hotel in the city.
“Atlanta represents one of the most robust economies in the nation and is a prime destination for international business and leisure travelers,” said Steve Porter, president of the Americas for Six Continents Hotels. “We are proud to introduce the world-renown InterContinental guest experience in this market.”
The hotel, which will be seen as a “grand dame” on historic Peachtree Road, is designed to capture InterContinental’s vision of a gracious contemporary hotel that expresses the character, ambiance and indigenous spirit of Atlanta. An interior garden courtyard, which can be viewed from all public areas of the hotel, will create an oasis of calm in a vibrant urban setting. The architecture and interior design offer architectural imagery that is forward-looking, yet respectful of Atlanta’s past.
Hotel amenities will include:
- Generous, covered port cochere entry with fountain to anchor hotel site on the corner of Peachtree Road and Highland Drive - Three-story elliptical lobby and lounge area
- 26,000 sq. ft. of meeting space, matching the largest meeting space of any five-star hotel in Atlanta
- 12,000 sq. ft. ballroom is the largest of all the five-star hotels in Atlanta and can accommodate approximately 850 people for seated dinners and 1,500 theater style
- 6,185 sq. ft. junior ballroom will serve Atlanta’s social market
- 160-seat restaurant with exterior terrace along Peachtree Road, encompasses fine and casual dining
- Day spa
- Health club facilities
- Outdoor pool and lounge area
- Separate stall shower and garden tub in each guest bathroom
- 500 covered parking spaces
The construction of this property represents the latest addition to Six Continents Hotels’ growing presence in Atlanta. Currently, the company owns, operates or franchises 48 properties in the metropolitan area. Six Continents Hotels employs more than 2,100 corporate employees in Atlanta. Also in Atlanta, more than 1000 people are employed at Six Continents Hotels’ franchised properties.
The Hogan Group is the developer of the new hotel. Architecture firm Thompson, Ventulett, Stainback and Associates served as the designers. And Hardin Construction will be the project’s general contractor.