Technology Partners to Help Create Web’s Most Consumer-Oriented Travel Site
CHICAGO, March 28 - The new travel web site company founded by United Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Northwest Airlines and Continental Airlines, announced the selection of five leading technology suppliers who have signed agreements to provide services to the site to be launched this summer, Alex Zoghlin, chief technology officer of the new site, announced today.
“These partners will help us build the most consumer-oriented and technologically-advanced travel site on the web,” Zoghlin said.
“We have promised to make it easier for consumers to shop for and book travel online,” Zoghlin said. “These agreements move us closer to creating a web site that consumers can easily navigate to search the broadest array of airfares and find the best prices in the fastest possible time.” The site’s new technology partners include:
- ITA Software, based in Cambridge, Mass., will provide its faring and shopping engine which searches fare and flight combinations. ITA was founded by computer scientists from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Artificial Intelligence Laboratory. ITA software’s capabilities for searching for the lowest possible fare greatly exceeds anything on the market today; the software can search more than a billion combinations a second. ITA provides complete, accurate and neutral airfare information.
- Datalex, of Dublin, Ireland, and Atlanta, Ga., will provide its Internet booking engine, BookIt! CONSUMER, that connects to electronic reservation systems that manage inventories for air, hotel, car and other travel products and services providers. The booking engine stores contact information, travel preferences, frequent-flyer accounts, and other data used to streamline the reservations experience. Built using Java technology, the Datalex booking engine is considered best of breed in the industry.
- NOVO, headquartered in San Francisco, Calif., will design the user interface and information architecture, and will develop and integrate software systems enabling content management, personalization and customer messaging. NOVO, a technical architecture and application design and development firm, is known for engineering cutting-edge, e-business sites.
- TRX, headquartered in Atlanta, Ga., will ensure superior customer service and travel fulfillment services. TRX is the largest customer service and fulfillment provider in the on-line travel industry.
- WORLDSPAN, based in Atlanta, Ga., will supply the new site with its global distribution system providing comprehensive access and availability for airlines, hotels and car rental companies. WORLDSPAN is the industry leader in developing distribution systems with applicable scale for Internet based travel sites.
The new travel portal will offer a comprehensive choice of travel products and services at prices equal to or lower than those available from any other public source.
It will offer consumers one-stop-shopping with a complete selection of products and services from over 455 air carriers, 200 hotel companies (approximately 39,000 properties), 44 car rental companies, and a large number of cruise lines, vacation packagers and other travel suppliers worldwide. In addition, all participating carriers will provide their Internet-only fares on the web site, allowing consumers to simply and quickly compare and purchase tickets online at these lower fares.
The site will be managed independently of its suppliers. A search is underway for a management team. Currently, The Boston Consulting Group, a general management-consulting firm, is overseeing the development of the site.
About ITA Software
ITA Software (www.itasoftware.com) has created a radically new platform for low fare searching and planning of air travel. The platform uniquely enables users to easily choose among a very wide range of fare and schedule options. ITA Software’s technology can provide high performance and cost effective travel planning solutions to travel web sites, airlines, corporations, computer reservation systems and travel agencies. ITA Software is also developing innovative solutions to a number of travel industry requirements, ranging from solutions to improve reservation center productivity to applications that optimize corporate travel purchasing. ITA Software was founded by computer scientists from the Artificial Intelligence Laboratory at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Datalex is a leading global provider of full-service, end-to-end information technology solutions to the travel industry. Founded in 1985, the company is headquartered in Dublin, Ireland, and maintains offices in Atlanta, Georgia; Amsterdam, The Netherlands; Manchester, England; and Melbourne, Australia. Datalex employs more than 330 professionals. The company’s core competence rests on devising solutions for e-commerce, Enterprise Application Integration and Customer Relationship Management. Each day Datalex products and solutions are used throughout the world by major airlines, travel agencies, tour operators and thousands of travel consumers. Major travel customers include Air Canada, Delta Air Lines, KLM, Singapore Airlines, Varig and WORLDSPAN, which are participants in the new travel web site.
NOVO architects and evolves e-Businesses. By delivering an integrated set of services, which include e-Business strategy and planning, application development and technology integration, web design and e-Marketing services, NOVO strengthens relationships between companies and their customers. Founded in 1994, the company is one of the largest privately held Internet professional services firms in the U.S. with offices in San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles and Detroit. NOVO’s clients include Continental Airlines, General Motors, Procter & Gamble, Nabisco, Toyota, 3Com, America One, Avery Dennison, Capital One, E*Trade, Ernst & Young, Gloss.com, Levi Strauss & Co. and Media One. More information on NOVO can be found at www.novocorp.com.
The leader in eCommerce processing through the convergence of proprietary technology and next-generation customer service.