SAA and Tanzania Closer Co-Operation

29th Aug 2003

From September 1, 2003, South African Airways (SAA) and its partner airline, Air Tanzania Company Limited (ATCL), will begin code-share operations.
The partnership, called “code-sharing” in airline business, is intended to increase service, pool resources and smooth out travel for passengers.
Although the two airlines will remain separate entities, they will be able to exchange privileges such as booking tickets that will enable travellers from each partner airline to make seamless connections, irrespective of the issuing airline. It will also help to increase passenger loads and ensure customer reach beyond both airline`s hubs.
“SAA`s partnership with ATCL offers an opportunity for growth to establish a strong and reliable presence in East Africa. It is also part of our expansion policy and strategy of Networking Africa. This we believe, will help to connect our existing strong hub in Southern Africa with that of East Africa,” says SAA President and CEO, André Viljoen.
ATCL is developing one of the most comprehensive networks in East Africa. It is also the largest carrier in Tanzania.
Following the code-share implementation, SAA and ATCL will offer code-sharing flights to the following destinations:
Johannesburg, Dar Es Salaam, Cape Town, Durban, Zanzibar and Kilimanjaro.
Founded in 1977, the airline was recently privatised when SAA purchased a 49 percent equity stake in the East African carrier. The remaining 51 percent is still owned by the Tanzanian government.
ATCL boosts a fleet of three Boeing 737s plus two Bombardier Dash-8 and 50 seat turbo-prop aircraft. These will all eventually carry the new Air Tanzania livery designed around the green, black, yellow and blue of the National Flag.


Recommended for you

Follow Breaking Travel News

Travel Events Calendar

Media Partnerships

Global Restaurant Investment ForumThe Hospitality & Tourism SummitCATHIC
ITB AsiaChina Outbound Travel & Tourism MarketThe Travel Marketing Store
Serviced Apartment SummitWorld Travel MarketIMEX
AHICWTTCRoutes Online
UBM Aviation