With the Memorial Day holiday kicking off the summer travel season, United Airlines wants to remind its customers of some helpful travel tips to make their travel experience easier. Also, thanks to its record-breaking performance, more customers will be arriving on time at their destination. In 2002, United’s employees broke 35 company records and achieved the best overall performance in the company’s 77-year history. In 2002, United Airlines ranked No. 1 in the industry in domestic on-time performance, according to the official U.S. Department of Transportation’s Air Travel Consumer report.
“Our airline continues to perform better than we have in years,” said John Tague, United’s Executive Vice President - Customer. “This is clearly a tribute to our employees’ professionalism and commitment to customers as they focus on getting our flights in and out on-time day after day throughout the year. We want each one of the thousands of customers we`ll carry this weekend—and in the future—to know that United continues to look for ways to make travel easier. This year we have introduced more EasyCheck-in units and enhancements to our EasyUpdate product to keep customers informed on their flights at all times. In June, we will also be introducing EasyCheck-in Online, which will give customers the ability to check in before they get to the airport.”
United offers the following tips and reminders for customers traveling this summer:
* united.com - Prior to their trip, customers should visit united.com for up-to-the-minute flight information. Customers may also receive real-time flight information by signing up for United’s flight status alert service, EasyUpdate. Flight information can be sent to a pager, cell phone or Web-enabled PDA.
* How early should I get to the airport? - Customers who are not checking bags need only arrive at the airport an hour before their scheduled flight. Those customers who have luggage to check should still get to the airport at least 90 minutes before they fly, and customers who are flying to an international destination should arrive at least two hours before their flight.
* Carry-On Bags - Customers are reminded that the federal regulations allow only one carry-on bag and a small personal item such as a briefcase, purse or laptop.
* Checked Baggage—United`s free checked bag allowance is two bags weighing 50 lbs each. For bags over 50 lbs, there is a $25 fee per bag. Customers traveling internationally are allowed 70 pounds per bag.
* Frequent-flyer security checkpoint lines - United was the first airline to introduce the very popular lines for United’s First Class and full-fare Business Class customers, Pass Plus customers, Mileage Plus 1K, Premier Executive and STAR Alliance Gold members. Priority Lines are available at Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Denver, Newark, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Honolulu, and Seattle. In Seattle and Honolulu, United offers Priority Lines to United’s 1K Mileage Plus members.
* EasyCheck-In - Customers can use United’s EasyCheck-In self-serve kiosks to print boarding passes and to choose seat assignments and can then proceed directly to a security checkpoint in 24 U.S. locations in major airports.
* EasyCheck-In Curbside - United has curbside check-in at 24 airports. Customers are encouraged to use this convenient service that enables those traveling domestically to check luggage and receive their boarding pass even before they enter the terminal.
* EasyCheck-In Online—This feature will allow customers to check in online and go through the security checkpoint directly to the departure gate. Customers checking baggage may do so curbside with a skycap or at the check-in counter with a Customer Service Representative. EasyCheck-In Online will be available by the end of June and will be easily accessible through the carrier’s homepage at united.com. It will be available for domestic travel on United/United Express flights for customers registered on united.com.
United Airlines offers more than 1,550 flights a day on a route network that spans the globe. News releases and other information about United Airlines can be found at the company’s website, www.united.com.