Delta Air Lines’ (NYSE:DAL) customers purchased more than 5.3 million tickets at delta.com in 2002, totaling $1.3 billion and representing a 20 percent increase over 2001. In 2002, ticket sales at delta.com represented approximately 13 percent of Delta’s total ticket sales. Overall online ticket sales for Delta, including delta.com and all other online travel agencies, amounted to 26 percent of the airline’s total ticket sales - up from 20 percent in 2001.
“These growth numbers are an indication that delta.com has become a key touchpoint for our customers who value the ease, convenience and wide array of features the site provides,” says Steve Scheper, Delta’s managing director of e-Business, Business-to-Consumer.
Delta customers continue to take advantage of the services on delta.com that speed and simplify air travel, including Online Check-In, which grew more than 20 percent a month in 2002. Online Check-In was enhanced last year allowing SkyMiles members to check-in and print a boarding pass from a personal computer up to six hours prior to scheduled flight departure, and expanded to include Delta Express, Delta Connection and Delta Shuttle flights.
Other new services and enhancements to delta.com in 2002 gave greater control to customers for travel convenience from desktop to destination, including:
- SkyMiles members now can tailor their delta.com experience by designating and storing profile information, including preferred destinations, credit cards and contact information to streamline the process of buying a ticket online. Stored information automatically enters required details when members log on to delta.com.
- SkyMiles members are able to purchase tickets on behalf of other travelers.
- SkyMiles members can use delta.com to redeem and purchase miles for travel, as well as check and confirm upgrades or be placed on the waitlist if their confirmed flight is sold out in the requested class.
- Electronic Timetables options now include Pocket PC and Adobe Acrobat’s PDF versions.
- Customers in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands now can purchase tickets and check-in directly on delta.com.
- Customers and travel agents in Canada now can purchase air travel at delta.com for travel originating in the U.S. or Canada.
Delta.com puts customers in control with services and information that increase convenience and efficiency in their travel experience. Delta.com offers customers purchasing and air travel management services, access to Delta’s lowest fares and critical travel information. At the site, customers can choose or change a seat assignment, view estimated airport wait times, and sign-up to receive flight status notifications via email or mobile device. SkyMiles members can also check in, print boarding passes, manage their SkyMiles account, and redeem frequent flier miles. Stand-by and confirmation of upgrades also are available online to Medallion members.
Delta Air Lines, the world’s second largest airline in terms of passengers carried and the leading U.S. carrier across the Atlantic, offers 5,826 flights each day to 437 destinations in 78 countries on Delta, Delta Express, Delta Shuttle, Delta Connection and Delta’s worldwide partners. Delta is a founding member of SkyTeam, a global airline alliance that provides customers with extensive worldwide destinations, flights and services. For more information, please go to delta.com.