Qantas today announced that it would extend its successful CityFlyer service to Perth from January 2003.
Qantas Executive General Manager Sales and Marketing John Borghetti said the new CityFlyer services would operate seven times a day between Sydney and Perth and eight times a day on the Melbourne-Perth route.
He said in addition to complimentary meals and movies provided on Perth services, the new CityFlyer flights would also offer:
* dedicated check-in counters for customers without baggage;
* dedicated baggage carousels;
* dedicated gate lounges offering check-in and customer service; and
* stand alone, easy to read information screens.
“As with our popular CityFlyer services already operating between Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane, Perth CityFlyer customers will be offered complimentary newspapers on weekday flights between 6:00am and 9:00am and complimentary beer and wine in Economy Class on weekday flights after 4:00pm.
“CityFlyer customers will also be able to use their mobile phones while boarding aircraft aerobridges and inside the aircraft until the time the doors of the aircraft are closed,” he said.
Mr Borghetti said Qantas was also undertaking an extensive $14 million development of its Perth Domestic Terminal and Qantas Club lounge, featuring:
* an expanded check-in area, with eight new check-in counters taking the total number of check-in desks to 21; * expanded baggage reclaim facilities;
* new toilet and bathroom facilities; and
* a new dual aerobridge for the airline`s new A330 operations, allowing Qantas to operate its brand new A330 aircraft to Perth from early next year.
“Our Qantas Club lounge will be expanded and enhanced, with seating for an additional one hundred guests, enhanced food and beverage facilities featuring a new bar and buffet, an improved business centre with additional data and power outlets throughout the lounge, and panoramic views of the airport and surrounding area.”
Mr Borghetti said the airport development was expected to be completed by mid-December 2002, with the expanded Qantas Club lounge scheduled to open in March 2003.