Singapore reports record visitors

The Singapore Tourism Board (STB) achieved a record high of 10.3 million visitor arrivals (VA) in 2007, exceeding its target of 10.2 million VA and registering growth of 5.4% over 2006. 
Estimated Tourism Receipts for the period January to December were posted at a record £4.6 billion (SGD13.8 billion), representing an 11.3% increase over the same period last year.


The UK saw a record 496,000 visitors to Singapore, an increase of 1.5% over 2006, retaining its position as one of Singapore’s top ten visitor markets (No.7).  The average length of stay for British holidays makers in Singapore increased by 3.1% over 2006 to 3.4 days, resulting in an increase in total Visitor Days for the year to 1.66 million, an increase of 4.6% over last year.

Singapore Tourism Board Area Director North & West Europe, Ms Divya Panickar, said: “We are delighted by the record breaking visitor arrivals to Singapore for 2007.  It is particularly pleasing to see that more and more British holidaymakers are choosing to discover the unique delights and experiences that Singapore has to offer.  And as the figures show, Singapore is so much more than just a stopover destination, with visitors choosing to spend more time to discover our vibrant, multicultural island.”

 

Total visitor days to Singapore grew 13.4% to reach 38 million days in 2007.  The average occupancy rate for the hotel sector reached 87%, a 1.7 percentage point increase over the previous year, with the average room rate estimated at SGD202, an increase of 23.1% on 2006 rates.

ADVERTISEMENT

 

Ms Panickar continued: “Last year’s success was a result of the tourism industry’s investment to refresh current tourism products as well as bring in and develop new ones, to ensure that Singapore remains an attractive must-visit destination. And this year is set to be equally exciting with the opening of The Singapore Flyer on 1 March and the hosting of the inaugural 2008 Formula One? SingTel Singapore Grand Prix, the first and only night race on the Formula One? calendar as well as Asia’s first city street circuit, on 28 September.”

 

2007 highlights included the opening of a plethora of new hotels, bars and restaurants including the luxury St. Regis hotel.

 

Looking forward, the 2008 Formula One? SingTel Singapore Grand Prix promises to be a spectacular event, set against the backdrop of Singapore’s historic buildings as well as modern developments including Marina Bay and the Esplanade.

 

Visitors to the city in 2008 will experience a further selection of new luxury hotels, bars, restaurants and attractions, including the Singapore Flyer, the world’s largest observation wheel, opening in March.

 

These exciting developments, along with Singapore’s impressive annual events such as Chinese New Year, the Hungary Ghost Festival, the Food Festival, ZoukOut and Christmas in the Tropics, are a reflection of how the island-state is redefining itself as a vibrant, must-visit destination offering an array of world-class, unique and culturally-rich experiences.

 

With the two Integrated Resorts, Marina Bay Sands and Resorts World at Sentosa, coming up in 2009 and 2010, Singapore can look forward to even more regional and world interest in the coming years. The STB also aims to continue its promotional focus on key markets and key sectors such as the cruise industry, with a view to sustaining the good overall growth achieved in 2007.
——-