Terra Lycos has named the ten most intriguing, off-the-beaten path road trip attractions for family travel in the U.S. this summer, as part of Lycos Travel`s new Road Trip Guide.
Lycos Travel editors and Jamie Jensen, author of the famed Road Trip USA, reviewed thousands of submissions to choose the top ten attractions. The selection criteria were based on family-friendly, photogenic, budget-conscious and proximity to other major attractions. Among the quirky destinations, all of which are accessible from America`s smaller two-lane highways, recommended for unique family fun are:
—WigWam Village in Holbrook, Arizona, where visitors can sleep in their own teepee
—Extraterrestrial Highway a detour off of U.S. 93 in Rachel, Nevada where travelers can see one of the most “visited” sites in the country and,
—York Beach in Maine, where vacationers can experience old-fashioned fun in the sun with picturesque harbors, dozens of seafood restaurants, artists` galleries, and charming inns and resorts.
This list of attractions is an indispensable checklist for those hoping to see more of America this summer than interstates and mega themeparks.
The Lycos Travel top road trip attractions are (in no particular order):
1. Carhenge, Alliance, Nebraska
2. Crayola Factory, Easton, Pennsylvania
3. Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park, Mandan, Nebraska
4. Fountain of Youth, St. Augustine, Florida
5. Harpers Ferry National Historic Park, Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
6. The John Deere Pavilion, Moline, Illinois
7. Lucy the Elephant, Margate, New Jersey
8. Extraterrestrial Highway, Rachel, Nevada
9. Wigwam Village, Holbrook, Arizona
10. York Beach, Maine
Lycos Travel is a full-service travel site that offers travelers access to fares and special negotiated rates for 500 airlines, 55,000 hotels, 48 car rental agencies and 18 cruise lines. Lycos Travel also offers over 1,500 Destination Guides, links to thousands of travel Web sites, tools, tips and advice.