BA makes “serious progress” with cabin crew

8th Apr 2010
BA makes “serious progress” with cabin crew

British Airways has headed off a third round of industrial action by cabin crew next week as talks with unions attempting to resolve changes in working practices make “serious progress”.

Tony Woodley, the joint leader of Unite, confirmed talks with the airline would continue over the next few days. It is the first time the two sides have met since the seven-day strike last month, which grounded hundreds of flights and cost the airline £45 million.

Unite had threatened a third walkout from April 14, but according to sources at The Times no new dates would be set with negotiations to continue over the coming days.

Woodley said: “I am pleased that some serious progress has been made over the issues which have divided us.

“However, there is more work to be done, and further discussions will take place with the company over the next few days. I reported to representatives of our cabin crew today and explained that it would be unnecessary to set further strike dates while these talks are continuing and making progress.”


Union says that BA make an offer that is at least as good as the one withdrawn on March 12 when Unite announced strike dates. It also insists that travel concessions withdrawn from striking cabin crew members must be reinstated as part of any deal.



Recommended for you

Follow Breaking Travel News

Travel Events Calendar

Media Partnerships

Global Restaurant Investment ForumThe Hospitality & Tourism SummitCATHIC
ITB AsiaChina Outbound Travel & Tourism MarketThe Travel Marketing Store
Serviced Apartment SummitWorld Travel MarketIMEX
AHICWTTCRoutes Online
UBM Aviation