For the fashion conscious, a day at the beach isn’t only about brushing up on your tan, enjoying the fresh air and swimming in the sea. We not only want to feel good, but look good too and having the latest beach accessories is essential.
Preparing a list of items before you get in the car will ensure that you have everything you need to enjoy a perfect day at the beach. So check out our top five essential beach accessories that are the ‘must haves’ for this year.
Top 5 beach accessories
1) Straw tote bag - these bags are great for carrying supplies you are going to need on the beach, such as: waterproof sun tan lotion, after sun, swim wear, medication, lip balm, insect repellent spray and beach towels. Whilst straw is ‘in’, tote bags are made in a variety of fabrics and colours so you can co-ordinate them with clothing, or other beach equipment you make want to take.
2) Hat – a large floppy or wide brimmed hat is not only fashionable but also practical because it will protect your neck, face and scalp from the sun. These large hats exude glamour whether they are made from cotton or straw and can be purchased in almost any colour, but if you want to keep up with the latest trends this year, buy a white one.
3) Aviator sunglasses – they may have been around since 1936, when Ray-Ban produced them for pilots, but Aviator sunglasses are as much in fashion today as they were when they were first made available to the public in 1937. They are the sunglasses of choice for military personnel and have featured in many films, including Cobra and Top Gun. Today, they can be purchased with purple or red lenses in addition to standard colours.
4) High-waisted swimwear – Retro and high waisted are the main features trending in swimwear this year. With the 1940s style of two piece swim suits, the longer shorts offer more coverage than bikinis and look great whether you are petite or have a fuller figure.
5) Beach towels – with elaborate designs such as the Orla Kiely stem beach towel, or the more subtle shades of Gant Turkish beach towels, you can ensure that what you wrap around and dry yourself with will have designer written all over it.
Apart from the fashionable aspects of accessories, please do make sure that you purchase the correct factor sun block and don’t spend too much time in the sun. Make sure that you take adequate clothes to cover yourself after sunbathing if you intend to spend more time on the beach.
A cool box is also a good idea to store drinks in, as keeping hydrated is just as essential as your accessories.